Friday, May 25, 2007

The Birth of the Fool (me)

I didn't know until today that I share a birthday with Miles Davis. In honour of that, here's some Miles from 1959 with the Gil Evans orchestra. I'm guessing that Miles' Gil Evans albums sounded pretty square to most jazz fans even then, and yet they are the ones I keep getting sucked back into, more so than the electric stuff or the iconic mid-sixties quintet. (I'm especially a sucker for Miles Ahead, from which the pieces below are taken.) They're brilliant fluff, ear candy, but never campy or glib. Miles was dead-serious about it all, as usual. It was if the challenge was to see just how far into seriousness light music could be pushed, which is why the albums always remind me of Pet Sounds.


No comments:

    A very subtle and funny writer - one I've become obsessed with over the past year - in a decidedly Muriel Spark mood. Imagine The Pr...