Thursday, June 07, 2007

Agog over prog

I'm not sure yet what I think of the thing myself, but being what a friend of mine referred to other night as a "closet Yes fan," it gives me an enormous amount of smug pleasure that people are getting hyped up over this Battles record, which sounds, on first blush, an awful lot like Big Generator-era Yes (which is an era that makes even me shudder).

I really like this song, however (it goes nowhere, but neither does a lot of things I love):



[Added: I freely admit that it yields up nothing of interest after the second or third listen, but I think it would work well on, say, a 400-level highway, something I'll be seeing a lot of this summer. Repetition and forward drive become more important in music in direct relationship to the length of the drive.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is he singing:

"The needle's working, the needle's working/ hand it over you bad sparrow"?

-ross

    A very subtle and funny writer - one I've become obsessed with over the past year - in a decidedly Muriel Spark mood. Imagine The Pr...