- Swearwords and numbers scratched into wood.
- The pinched wheezing of seagulls.
- The human evidence of an overturned trash can.
- Swings wrapped tight to the top bar.
- Dark fists of dogshit in the sandbox.
- The taste of grass and sand.
- The slow spin of a upended bicycle wheel.
- Mosquitoes drugged by the sun or heavy with blood.
- A crumpled coupon used as a bookmark.
- Friends, then enemies, then friends again.
- Unexpected acceleration on a slide.
- The cranky thief and his adult enabler.
- Provisional snacks in collapsed bags.
- Acrobatic over-ambition.
- Conversations put on hold by tears.
- Quick comparisons: age, height/weight, mood, intelligence.
- The silence of teenagers at the grassy margins.
- Joy, then pain, then joy again.
- The muddy blood from a strip-mined knee.
- Warnings that become orders that become ultimatums that become excuses to leave.
Friday, July 06, 2007
What it's like: The Playground