Monday, February 19, 2007

Lie down with Mark Steyn, wake up with fleas

As a kind of follow-up to David Solway's love letter to Mark Steyn, I offer you this. Here is the man Solway has called "intrepid and politically incorrect":
In a democratic age, you can’t buck demography—except through civil war. The Serbs figured that out—as other Continentals will in the years ahead: if you can’t outbreed the enemy, cull ’em. The problem that Europe faces is that Bosnia’s demographic profile is now the model for the entire continent.
It would flatter Steyn too much to be called "politically dangerous," so I'll only say that I fully agree with his being "politically incorrect." Certainly, the "incorrect" part is a label Steyn has earned over and over again.



UPDATE: Steyn now says that this passage is being misread by crazy-headed peaceniks who are always looking to twist his sensible words into something ugly.
My book isn’t about what I want to happen but what I think will happen. Given Fascism, Communism and ethnic cleansing in the Balkans, it’s not hard to foresee that the neo-nationalist resurgence already under way in parts of Europe will at some point take a violent form. That’s pretty much a given. Indeed, Ralph Peters and I have already argued about this: the difference between us, as I explain here , is that I think any descent into neo-Fascism will be ineffectual and therefore merely a temporary blip in the remorseless transformation of the Continent.
See? All he was saying is that white Europeans will eventually recognize that they are being overrun with Muslims, and so will turn on these dark invaders, but that it will all be in vain – Western Civ is done for. What so objectionable about that?

As an astute (though Godwin's Law-flouting) commenter at Sadly No! puts it:
You know, if they aren’t advocating genocide as a means of solving the Jewish Muslim question, then what exactly are they advocating anyways? To my knowledge there isn’t a product on the market called, “I can’t believe it’s not genocide.”

1 comment:

Zachariah Wells said...

Given the dismal hit-rate of Nostradumbass's predictions to-date, he'd probably be better off sticking to what he wants to happen than what he thinks will happen.

I look into my crsytal ball and see Mark Steyn shutting his gob for eternity...Sadly, no.

    A very subtle and funny writer - one I've become obsessed with over the past year - in a decidedly Muriel Spark mood. Imagine The Pr...