Saturday, October 06, 2007

X-treme Wagnerian Sports

As a kind of physiological and cultural self-experiment, and at the risk of falling into yet another musical cliché, I listened to "The Ride of the Valkyries" on my bike ride home yesterday.

I giggled for the first ten seconds at the sheer absurdity of it, and then something... happened.

By the ride's halfway point, I was ready to behead people waiting for streetcars, tear babies away from their mothers, and leave whole lines of cars ruined and in flames.


ADDED: I should note that the version I was listening to was a full-on operatic version conducted by Herbert von "Everything Louder" Karajan. That's right – fucking hardcore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you really want to change your outlook on the world, take a wander around downtown with the score of Sondheim's Sweeney Todd playing at high volume...

    A very subtle and funny writer - one I've become obsessed with over the past year - in a decidedly Muriel Spark mood. Imagine The Pr...